From 13 September to 31 October 2003, the Jousse Entreprise Gallery will be showing landmark works in the career of André Borderie (1923-1995), a ceramicist and visual artist whose originality and simplicity are symbolic of the 1950’s style in France. The gallery has decided to highlight a collection of unique ceramic pieces, brought together for their powerful sculptural value, along with several environmental architectural projects. This rare selection underlines the artist's questioning of proportion and perspective. It can be compared with the plastic and visual concerns of the architect André Bloc in his utopian constructions, which never actually got beyond the maquette stage.
André Borderie's aesthetic development was probably considerably influenced by his admiration for Le Corbusier's constructive rigour, and Charlotte Perriand's sense of proportion in her furniture.
André Broderie's life was marked by the discovery of his artistic calling in 1940, while looking at a reproduction of a Paul Klee drawing, as well as through his own spiritual research.
His ceramic forms seem to be part of this research through their purity. His stoneware pieces fired with an enamel that plays subtly on matt and glossy shades of colour come in the form of wide bowls, simple boxes and tapering bottles, lamps in the form of light shafts, original and symbolic sculptures like the egg and the flame, and abstract environments with sacred architectural aspirations, involving Romanesque art in particular (pillars, porticos...). These pieces are well removed from the usual world of purely decorative objects and become a powerful element in the architectural space because of their spare forms.
The exhibition will present a large number of major pieces: a low "eye" table, "light head" and "pebble" lamps, a "ball" vase, and radical sculptures like "the rectangle", as well as several tables...
In 1948, the artist met Maria, who would become his wife, and her friends Pierre and Vera Szekely. For close on ten years they formed an artists' community, until 1957. During that period, the Broderies often co-signed their ceramics with the Szekelys. These pieces were exhibited by the famous Mai Gallery which was also where the furniture made by Charlotte Perriand and Jean Prouvé was shown and had a salient effect on the aesthetics of the 1950’s in the field of ceramics.
The first exhibition of André Broderie's paintings was held in 1955 by Colette Allendy. From the 1960’s on, he also worked on painted cartoons for wallpaper which were often exhibited alongside the tapestries of Mathieu Matégot and other abstract painters at the "La Demeure" Gallery, run by Denise Majorel, which was specialized in this field. André Borderie was a great champion of art as part and parcel of city life.
In 1955, he took part in the activities of the Espace group founded by André Bloc, which brought artists and architects together for collective projects. He accordingly created many sculpture environments in steel, concrete and mosaics for public and private buildings. In compositions unfurled to meet the range of the eye, the artist sought to bring out the monumentality of each one of his projects, whatever the final scale of their execution (mental, human and monumental). In the state of object and sculpture, André Broderie's ceramics, sculptures, maquettes and tapestries always have a comparable lyrical power, and the same vital and organic force, fuelled by an observation of nature and her own primal forces.